Monday, June 27, 2011

LeQuire Visit


1. Does it change your perspective to discuss a work of art with the artist himself? 
 Yes! Discussing works of art with Greg really opened my eyes to a lot of things. When Greg spoke about his creations I personally felt somewhat of a deeper connection to each piece of art. The effort and time he says he puts in his paintings and sculptures makes me appreciate art in general.


2. How do the Greg Decker paintings make you feel?

Overall, I enjoyed Greg Decker’s paintings mainly because each creation served a message and purpose. He has a unique style as his paintings aren’t really abstract, but at the same time aren’t realistic.

3. How does the way in which the exhibit is installed effect the way you experience it?
By incorporating slurries of different styles of art I was allowed to take in a lot of new things. I am not an art expert, however by experiencing multiple artists works at once I could appreciate the styles that I liked the most. I found out that I do not like abstract paintings all that much, and my favorite type of art are the realistic paintings and/or art renderings. I can honestly say that after visiting the LeQuire gallery, my favorite types of art are sculptures. I did not find the abstract paintings very interesting, however the realistic type paintings stood out.

The LeQuire Gallery consists of a room full of paintings and a room full of sculptures. With many different styles of each presented in the gallery, I found out what I liked and disliked. I was interested and amazed of the massive sculptures they presented.

4. Discuss one work of sculpture and one painting from LeQuire. Try to start with an objective description, then describe you personal response to the work.
I loved the sculptures of the clay heads. I honestly never have seen a head sculpture of that magnitude. My favorite painting was American flag. It’s almost like the painting resembled someone balling up a piece of paper of the American flag then unfolding it again. To me it symbolizes the strength of our country.
  






No comments:

Post a Comment